I wanted to update you on the picnic that I blogged about last week. It case you missed it, here is the post.
My husband felt so special and loved. It was one of the best times we have had outside of the house in a while. Who knew what a sitter and budget friendly picnic could do. It was a surprise for him so I did not let him read my post until after the date. We had some hiccups along the way because the locations I had initially mapped out were inaccessible but he was so understanding about it. We put our heads together and found the perfect spot. I forgot some key items in my picnic basket but we made the best of it. It was a blessing to our marriage to sit outside (it was beautiful by the way, 72 degrees and no humidity) and talk to my husband without distractions. We did not have a child to look after, a waiter or other diners to be mindful of-just us and nature. There were other people at the park too but they kept their distance. One older lady told my husband that “what we were doing was very nice to see”. That let us know that other people were blessed by our expression of love.
I found my picnic basket, wine glasses, and plates at a local resale shop all for under $10. I bought some ribbon from a craft store and I had the linens already. Shortly after I got married, my grandfather gave me some household items that he and my grandmother (who passed away 9 years ago) had stored away. The gingham tablecloth and napkins were included in those items. This made the picnic even more special having those items from my grandmother to make the day even more memorable.
We had sun, a cool breeze, trees, water and animals to add to the ambiance. We both love nature and we both needed some quiet time with each other. What do you and your love like to do for romantic dates? My advice is to be creative and think outside the box. The best dates are the ones that you put a lot of thought into. It shows your spouse how much you love them and are willing to go the extra mile to make them happy.
Here are some photos from our day.
Ideas for a Romantic or Family Picnic this Valentines Day
I remember my husband took me on a picnic for my birthday the first year we started dating. He surprised me by showing up at my job dressed up in a suit (he was a grad student at the time, so jeans were his normal attire). He told me he would be my personal butler that day. He had premade sandwiches and snacks prepared and we had lunch on the lawn in front of my office. It was so romantic and one that I will remember always. In fact, he proposed to me during a romantic picnic. So it is safe to say that we love picnics. We haven’t had a picnic in a long time and I have never prepared one for him so I think I will this Valentine’s Day (I live in Texas and the high temp should be 68 degrees). If you are in cold weather, you can do this inside on your living room floor. Here are some ideas I had to make it special.
P.S. I will not let my husband read this until after this weekend.
You will need a picnic basket. You can buy one pre-made like this one from One Kings Lane
Or make your own. Here is a simple list of items you can buy from your local resale shop, fabric store and dollar store.
1. Picnic basket-You can find a variety of baskets at the craft store and resale shops for less than $10. Etsy also has some vintage picnic baskets. Here are some that I found today.
2. Fabric in any print that you like. You can use the fabric to cover the basket, as a tablecloth or as a blanket.
3. Utensils/Plates- Utensils can be plastic, stainless steel, or silver (if you want to be really fancy ;)) Dollar Tree has some stainless steel utensils for $1. Plates can be china or plastic ware. Tie some ribbon around the plates and utensils to make an impression.
5. Food-Cheese, veggies and fruit are a staple but if you want to make it really special then try some of these recipes;
Avocado Ham Sandwiches
And a family friendly one- Peanut Butter and Jelly Wraps
6. Linen napkins wrapped in ribbon or string or a printed paper napkin works as well.
7. Beverages and don’t forget the wine glasses or cups. Dollar Tree has these for $1 as well.
Enjoy your day whether it’s with your loved one, friends or family.
Happy Valentine’s Day!