I love garage sales…. but I must admit I hate getting up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday to go and snag the best item before the other early birds. I decided that I would go to a popular neighborhoods bi-annual sale. You could spend a whole day shopping, treasure hunting at this sale. They give out maps ahead of time so you can plan where you want to go depending on what street has the items you are looking for. I decided just to go without doing any research this time. I wanted to just have fun and look. Sometimes the best items are ones that many people overlook because it’s damaged or doesn’t look like a treasured find.
So at the end of my hunting around noon, I saw this frame laying on the grass in a homeowners yard. I asked, “How much?” She said, “Name your price.” She was pretty much giving it away. The owner said it was a beautiful mirror that she had in her entry that fell and shattered. All that was left was the frame. She didn’t give me a chance to respond and said, “Two dollars!” So of course I bought it.
Anyway I saw it and thought..hmmm..I could probably do something with it, I just didn’t know what that “something” was at the time. It sat in my garage for a year.
So a year later I finally found a use for it. I had wanted to make a DIY headboard for the longest time but I wasn’t inspired to tackle the project yet. Then I saw this headboard from Horchow and decided to use my frame to make something similar.
1. I glued the frame back together and wood spackled all of the missing carved details into the corners.
2. I painted and antiqued the frame in a silver finish. The existing finish would have been perfect but since I had to spackle some missing details, it needed a new coat of paint.
3. I purchased particle board and had it cut to size of the inside of the frame.
4. I measured and marked the location of holes for buttons and drilled the holes.
5. I spray adhered batting to the board to keep it in place. I then used a screw driver to punch holes thru the batting (this makes the tufting so much easier).
6. I then stapled my finished fabric to the particle board.
7. Then I tufted my headboard by using fishing wire to pull the buttons as tight as I could to create the desired look. I stapled my fishing wire in a zig-zag pattern on the other side to keep in in place.
Image below shows the batting facing the backside of the frame but I was just checking to make sure that I cut enough batting before I sprayed it to the particle board.
This is an image of my old bedroom. My new bedroom is getting a new look but I kept my headboard in the design. See my post with the inspiration board for the new bedroom here.